View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 07:27 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Progression of small fiber neuropathy

Hi all,

I'm reading a lot, still, for me it is easier to read than to think how I have to explain what I want to know
But one thing keeps me thinking; how is the progression of small fiber neuropathy 'normally' (as long as you can speak of normal). In my case, one and a half year ago I had the first symptom; I asked my physiotherapist what can be wrong with my left hand, because when I dried it after washing, it was a little painfull inside the hand. After a month, my other hand did the same, after that I got burning feet (that was Christmas time 2007 and I was doing a postman job, I can tell you that this is not the most perfect job when your hands and feet are hurting). In January 2008 I visited the rheumatologist, and every month I was getting a few symptoms extra. Since two months I use non-stop medication, when I do not, I am sure I cannot walk anymore because of the cramps and shooting pain in my lower legs and I cannot do anything normal with my hands. With this medication I can do the most normal things, but I work only 3x4 hours a week and I am completely exhausted after that 4 hours working. So it's not that I am 100% pain- and troublefree, but I can handle it.
I am wondering where and when it will stop The past one and a half years there was a progression in exactly the same quickness; not very quick, not very slow but just only progression; every month I feel worser than the month before. My 25mg Amitriptyline for now is enough, but I notice that in a short time, it won't. My neurologist offered me to high it to 50mg but I don't want to; I think I better get used to some pain, because perhaps the progression never stops and I 'have to' live another 50 years maybe.
Are there any people who have the same progression as me for 1,5 years or longer? And I am wondering another thing too; I have most pain and other troubles in my hands, during the day it is ok, but when I do something a little different, like using a tallboy (like in an office) or using a shopping trolley that feels a little different than I am used to (I mean another grip) I get lots of pain. I guess my legs will have the same problem when I will do something different than normally, but I always walk at the same way so I cannot test this.

Oh PS: I have Tramadol 100mg TR for the bad days, I thing I use this max. twice a week.
FlyingDutchWoman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote