View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 08:36 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Candice,
I am very sad to hear that you are suffering depression after surgery. I also suffered badly from depression after my aneurysm was clipped and I later learned that the epilepsy medication I was prescribed was the reason my mood changed so radically day-to-day. I would recommend that you seek advise from your Doctor. Tests can be done to establish if any medication you may have been adivsed to take, is the correct dosage; or perhaps another drug may be prescribed in its place. Be articulate with how you feel, if your Doctor seems un-moved by your situation - seek out another Doctor.
It took me 3 days from when I stopped taking Dilantin (almost 1 year after surgery) to feel like "the old me". I was very surprised, it seemed almost impossible that these little tablets were in fact hampering my recovery and not enhancing it!!!!! It took me about 3 to 4 years to feel that my life had gotten back to normal (my surgery lasted over 7 hours) and I can say that my life is pretty good, so 'hang in there'!!
I have read on other web sites; aneurysm survivers' journals and one common recurring comment was that all of us sufferd depression and we all took epilepsy medication. It seems that there is a possible link between these two situations.
I wish you the very best Candice
Tess - Australia (age 42)
tess00110011 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (01-29-2013)