View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Exclamation anxiety... nervousness... meds... meds... B E N Z O S !

Hi there.

Yes, i am going to fuss a bit here. Please humor me and read through, and take this to heart as i only have your wellbeing in mind.

Regarding the Valium vs. Klonopin. Both are anxiolytics but they are different meds, even if they are the same class. They have different pharmacokinetics and different potency.

Valium is about 3-4 times as long acting as Klonopin - it takes a while to build up in the system. A few weeks to come up to steady state. While you might notice some immediate effect from a single dose, your overall anxiety is not going to be properly addressed if you only take 1/3 of the prescribed daily amount.

Klonopin is 20x as potent as Valium, i.e. 1mg Klonopin is "as strong" as 20 mg of Valium as far as benzodiazepine equivalency goes. Klonopin takes a bit less time to build up to steady state and is more vulnerable to peaks and troughs.

Especially with the surgical procedures you have coming up, i would ask you pleeeeeese to take the medication you were prescribed, as prescribed. I.e. do not take Klonopin if they have asked you to stop that but DO take all of the Valium doses, whether or not you "feel" you need one at the time or not. If you are not sure whether you are allowed to take Klonopin too, "as needed," please call your pdoc and ask, to be quite certain. i kinda doubt the intent is for you to take both.

I stress, it is important to take all the doses of Valium. Taking it in three doses should have a very gentle effect on you, that you would not notice right away... perhaps after a few days you would start to notice it.

Also, consider this: Valium is often used in detox processes when removing other benzodiazepines also, so, if you had been taking Klonopin before, and have now stopped but are not keeping up the prescribed Valium regime some of your agitation could be benzo withdrawal, which is the LAST thing you need, on top of the natural anxiety and nervousness due to the upcoming events.

Please take care and be punctilious with your meds right now. If you experience excessive sedation or agitation or anything not right, then call your pdoc right away. do indeed inform her of the effect of the Cymbalta, and that you stopped it, just to keep her appraised.

You need to look after yourself, but also help your doctors look after you by following the scripts and/or giving them immediate feedback if there are problems, in particular at this delicate time.

the stopping smoking is going to make you nervous too... nicotral or not, as there is a heavy psychological component to smoking. you are doing a great job holding up there.

i wish you calmer days and i hope the Vicodin helps.

~ waves ~ the medical mother hen *squawk squawk*
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mari (01-19-2009), Nikko (01-19-2009)