View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 05:23 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Hand pain...

This can be due to carpal tunnel. And it can be due to hypothyroidism.

My PN started in my hands and moved to my feet, and was severe. When I became pregnant at 34 I became disabled in my 5th month. I had EMG then showing severe loss of hand functions. After delivery it improved, and I didn't need the offered surgery. The hypothyroidism was still there, brewing and eluding tests. It wasn't until my mid 40's that I had some minor blood work anomalies and was given a technicium scan.
That showed a damaged gland, and FINALLY the doctor ordered levothyroxine for me. This fixed my hands and feet about 90% but I still have flares.

When people have low thyroid this causes the body to deposit in the tissues a substance under the skin, and under the ligaments at the wrist and ankle. This compresses nerves and causes alot of pain. It is a form of mechanical entrapment. So I always encourage people to have thyroid checked carefully, because it can be hard to pinpoint using blood work only --like what happened to me.

Some physical signs to look for
orange skin tone on the palms and soles of the feet
loss of hair, and body hair.
cold intolerance
brain fog--difficulty thinking
very dry skin.

Sometimes these signs are present and the blood work is marginally normal. I'd suggest radiouptake isotope studies to see the gland in action.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote