View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

The reason that it is so important and so much is being made of this is that there are many African Americans that lost their lives to win the right to vote...to eat at a counter...to drink from a water fountain...and not be treated like dogs.
It's important because the Capital, where President Elect Obama will be sworn in, was built by the sweat of slaves...those of us old enough to remember the day that President Lyndon Johnson signed the voting rights act know how far this country has come in a very short time...and yet we are humbled by how far we have to go...I am Caucasian...but I was raised by ignorant, bigoted parents...and I have learned that we are all connected; we all bleed red...

Also, a large part of this inauguration is being paid by contributions donated by supporters of the Obama campaign...so it's not all on the taxpayer's dime.

Let us, for one day at least, celebrate this peaceful transition of power. We as a country have many, many flaws. But there are not many countries on this planet that has this type of transition of power.

I am a supporter of Obama...I was at Grant Park on election night...I watched many African Americans, young and old, with tears streaming down their faces...and I then finally understood the momentous event that had taken place.
Tomorrow we can start dealing with the realities of our country's problems...for today, let us celebrate!!

Last edited by Debbie D; 01-20-2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: typo
Debbie D is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CayoKay (01-20-2009), dahlek (01-20-2009), Doody (01-20-2009), ewizabeth (01-20-2009), FranksAngel (01-20-2009), Kitty (01-20-2009), lou_lou (01-20-2009), soxmom (01-20-2009), weegot5kiz (01-20-2009), woodhaven (01-21-2009)