Thread: thoracic fusion
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 05:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hey

Hey Cheryl, I am 34 and had an emergency thoracic fusion on 11/25 of T-8 and T9. (I have a bulging disc below that that isn't a problem yet)I had a herniated disc that was compressing the spinal cord and I was having trouble walking and using the bathroom, so they upped my surgery by a month cause they were afraid I'd end up paralyzed from the thoracic down. They broke through my ribs on my left side, moved my lung to the side, then used part of my rib for the fusion, along with a rod and 2 screws. How big are the rod and screws you have? I keep forgetting to ask my surgeon about mine. (I just added that to my list of questions for next visit). When you say posterior, do you mean they went straight in through your chest? I guess the technique they used on me is newer or something. I am still in a lot of pain though and I'm 2 months out from my surgery. I will be on temp disability till May according to the paperwork they filled out for me. If I feel like this in May, there's no way I'll be able to return to the work force, even part time. It hurts to sit, stand, or walk for any substantial length of time. I have to wear a brace (have you ever heard of a scoli jacket? It's similar.) whenever I'm not laying down, and believe me, I need it. How are we supposed to survive financially? We make too much for food stamps, temp disability is crap, and I'm paying $400/mo for my health ins, not counting copays for meds and doctors. The hardest things for me is waiting for time to pass while I'm so dependent on everybody, and knowing the strain I put on everybody. The second hardest is I don't know from day to day if what I'm feeling in my back is normal. I have had my follow up MRI and they say I look great, but I hurt like hell, and they just say, remember you just had major surgery, it's going to take time to heal. I also have fibromyalgia, scoliosis, and degenerative disc disease, so that doesn't help. Fibro patients feel pain, heat and cold more intensely then other people too for some reason. I use the National Fibromyalgia Association website for info, some of it applies to general health that you might like to read.
I have found that if you take a notebook and write down every question you have about your back as you think of it, you will have a nice list to bring in to your surgeons, or call them with and you won't forget to ask as far as your question, "Will this fusion cause so much stress on the other vertebra that I might have to have another fusion?" My surgery was a complete nightmare for me, I'd haver had surgery before. The hospital and staff were good, but I do NOT want to do it again. Why are you on your feet all day?, scrub tech or no, you should have been written out of work for minimum of 3 months for a thoraacic fusion. I have pain in my blades and mid back so bad I am near tears frequently. I take Flexoril, Lortab, Relafen (an anti inflammatory that's similar to ibruprofen) and something call Dextromethorphan as another pain killer, it has to be compounded at a special pharmacy. Lying down is the most comfortable without a doubt, and I am just this past week able to lay on my side and I even drove my car last week, but stuff like that makes me exhausted and in way too much pain. I am a lot better than 2 months ago, but I can tell I have a long road ahead. My surgeon said I'll never be 100%, but that they could get me close, but that full recovery status might take a year. Well, hope this post helps someone. ~Crys
Sambouka74 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (04-15-2009)