View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Sharla... no i don't think you need an AD

From what you have said, anti-depressants tend to do you more harm than good. That is the case for some bipolars. Indeed, if you are not severely depressed as you noted, there is not even really a call for them. They tend to be over-prescribed for bipolars and put us into rapid cycling when we were normal cyclers, or switch us into mania. i.e. they can worsen the overall course of our illness. Of course, in some cases with severe depression, they can be a real asset, but it does depend on the individual. If you tend to swing into mania quickly with them, althemore reason to stay away. The more frequently you switch, the worse it is for your brain... it "learns."

100 mg Lamictal is not typically the full dose. usually 200 daily is the target, but it is titrated slowly, by 25mg at a time. the reason for that is to have a better chance at catching possible side effects early. It is especially important with people who tend to respond to lower than typical doses or who have allergies and/or sensitivity to other meds. However, this slow titration is not observed in Europe. technically, the med can be increased faster if there is clinical need. (Of course, if you are one of the sensitive ones, then prudence and patience are better).

i too get very sensitive and even quite depressed before my period, so it is good to factor that in. the way you described your mood seems consistent with that.

I agree that you should call your pdoc if you don't feel better once your cycle starts. I'm glad you had a better day today Every moment counts, right!

Hang in there!

~ waves ~