View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 06:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
So....that brings me to my next question (probably a separate post in itself).....is it bad for this disease to "suffer" with the pain if I can cope with it??? Will that make it worse??? or spread???? I don't have such severe symptoms MOST of the time, so I usually just take Advil and deal with it. Should I be trying to numb it all together to calm my SNS down??? I really HATE taking pain meds. They make me sick and constipated. I HATE them. BUT, if taking them around the clock for a few months might settle things down in my body, I'm willing to do it.
I hate having to take meds too, but you really, really shouldn't be just trying to deal with the pain. I believe the reason I had spread so fast was because wc wouldn't allow the docs to give me any pain meds. My pain raged out of control. When you let you pain rage on it affects the whole nervous system,sending pain signals to every nerve ending in your body, especially the "good" nerve endings. Your whole system gets the message that your whole body has suffered an injury, thus the more nerve endings affected, the more likely you are to start getting spread elsewhere.

By taking pain meds on a regular basis and keeping the pain under control, well as much as possible anyway, it gives your body a break and may indeed prevent spreading rsd quickly elsewhere in the body at the same time the existing pain keeps getting stronger and stronger.

As much as we hate to have to take any meds, I'd rather keep my nervous system as calm as I can to prevent more problems. It's hard when you feel icky too, but the way I help my body not feel so sick is by taking a half of a pill. I take vicodin 10mg. I'm able to take a whole pill when I first get up and make very sure that I eat something within an hour of taking it. This helps stop any sick feeling I might get. I try to make sure it's some kind of bread, like crackers if nothing else,lightly buttered toast, a sausage biscuit. This helps your stomach to "absorb" the med. Don't drink coffee until about an hour after you've taken your med because the caffeine interferes with absorption and will also make you feel icky. If you take vitamins, wait to take them until a couple of hours later so you get the full benefit of them. When you need to take another dose, break a pill in half. I take mine this way, 1 whole pill when I wake up, 3-4 hrs I take a half, 3-4 hrs,take a half,etc. Those days my pain is up a bit I may take a half 2 hours after but it jumps on top of the pain and I can wait another 3 hrs or so before taking another half.

It works for me and maybe it'll work for you too since we seem to have the same problem. To deal with the constipation aspect, make sure you get more fiber and also a stool softener.

Big Hugs,

Karen

Living, loving and laughing with RSD for 14 years and counting.
GalenaFaolan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
just drea (01-22-2009)