View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 08:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi,
I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. and please keep in mind that it is all that it is worth. I'll give you a very brief history...I've had rsd for about 4-5 years, (i've lost track of time). started left foot. had about 8-9 surgeries. sometime during the surgeries rsd came up. I didn't want to hear it, I needed all the infections etc cleared up first. Finally had to agree to rsd. Started pain management. Was pretty well bed bound or in a wheelchair. Went to Georgetown University Hospital in Washington D.C. Saw head of PM dept. He agreed with other PM. Also agreed it was mirrored onto right foot and leg. said that I needed scs (in agreement with other pm). I agreed, had trial. Hurt like anything, after about 3 days in bed and pain I got up and was able to walk with just a cane. It was wonderful. I agreed to the perm unit. I had it implanted, did all that I was suppose to do during recovery and was doing pretty good. The only problem I had was the battery was in my butt. It was hurting quite a bit. after almost a year I need it moved as I couldn't sit, walk, etc. found a dr. here in town (closer, and he had been on the Oprah show), and he agreed to move battery. Turned out that the leads had moved and I needed a complete new unit. No problem. had surgery, 2 weeks later had about 80 staples removed from old surgery removal and new surgery implant, and about a week or so after that started to get very sick. lasted about a week and one night I started pouring pus out of my side where the battery was implanted. into ER. sick as anything. into emergency surgery, where the complete unit was removed again. I was about 24 to 36 hrs from dying from a merser infection. It had moved up my leads and was just at my spine. I ended up in a nursing home because my side had to be opened upand packed and unpacked a couple of times a day. also had a picc line and all this went on even when I went back home for a couple more months. I no longer have anything in me, and I'm back where I started. I also now have rsd in my butt (you know there is a really good joke there), and in my back from my shoulder blades down to where (well, guess). any way. that is my story. All that being said. I STILL would have tried it the first time. It was great for the first time. THe only reason I'm not doing it again is that I'm tired of recovering from surgery. My back, butt, and side looks so scared up. Like you, the meds make me really strange, but I'm willing to live with it if it means I can continue with my life. I have horses, and I'm planning to ride again this spring. I'll never win another show, but I will ride again. With the scs I would never be able to do that again. THe nice thing about the trial is that you can see if you like it. the scs can always be removed if you find out after a while that you can't stand it or if it isn't what you like. If you don't try it, you will live the rest of you life wondering if it could have helped you.

I hope that my story doesn't change your mind about trying it. Anyone going into the hospital could pick up Merser, it had nothing to do with the scs. It was just my luck.

hugs
Mary
just drea (01-22-2009), MominPainRSD (01-22-2009)