Thread: Homeopathy
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hang in there Sarah. It's going to be alright
Try not to get too down about it right now because he'll pick up on that. I know my two did.

Here where I live, it's usual to go see a Paediatric Neurologist. Also best to find someone who knows about tic disorders. Do you know if the one you saw was knowledgeable? Did they sound that way to you? If they are knowledgeable and told you not to worry and other things are happening now for your son, it might be a good idea to go back to see them or get another opinion. TSA-USA has a list of doctors on their site if you're in the USA. I'll go find it for you and post shortly.

I know it's easy for me or them to tell you not to worry, but heck, you're going to worry because he's your child.

I don't know that it's as common these days, but when my two were young the doctors took blood tests and my son had an MRI. Actually he had two. Also EEG. My daughter's tics were very mild and as she was the second child, the doc. didn't really bother too much with any tests... so it depends on the situation. Diagnosis is make by observation and taking patient history. There aren't any tests to actually identify TS, however, sometimes the doctors (like ours did) will do tests to rule out other conditions. As I said, I'm not sure how common that is these days with better medical information and knowledge around.

In my son's case prior to his TS and AS diagnoses he had been diagnosed with something called Sydenham's Chorea, which is a movement disorder that looks a *little* to the untrained eye like tics. Sydenham's Chorea movements sometimes occur in children who've had Strep. throat and subsequent Rheumatic Fever from the Strep. throat. There are other things too but they're pretty rare. I wasn't wanting to worry you more.
some other conditions that produce tics

Was your son sick at all prior to his tics coming on?
You mention he'd been falling over a lot and was generally unwell.
In what way did you feel he was unwell?
Was he getting lots of infections, or was he having tummy troubles or something else?

Sarah, it's very common for children to not tic when they're in a doctor's office. Adults as well. It's something that a knowledgeable doctor would know and certainly wouldn't dismiss your verbal history.

I'm not sure what area you're in, but if you're still concerned then you might want to get another appointment to see someone who is very knowledgeable. If that would help you then it would help your son I'm sure.

The swallowing can be a tic ... yes.
The hitting his throat could be too.

Here's a link from TSplus -
List of common tics Do note though that tics are different for everyone and that is just a list of *some* tics that people may have, doesn't mean they have all of them!!!

From TSA-USA
For Newly Diagnosed - contacts for referrals

take it easy there. He's going to be alright I'm sure.

Keep posting.

Last edited by Lara; 01-21-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (01-22-2009), who moi (04-16-2009)