View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

OK. I understand now. I just wasn't sure.
A boy who was in my son's class at school was diagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa back in around Year 5 or 6. Well, I think he was actually diagnosed with OCD but he also had anorexia and that was very detrimental to his wellbeing indeed. It was at a time that my own son was experiencing a lot of health issues and I was spending heaps of time at school helping out with various things like reading and art classes in the primary school.

It helped me keep in touch with the people who were around my children all day and be around if my son wasn't doing well and also I enjoyed it. For many months I watched as this other boy started doing some really noticeable behaviours. He'd been bullied for being overweight (he wasn't very overweight at all, in fact, it was just that he was heavier than the group he was hanging out with at school who were all skinny as rakes and involved in athletics) in the earlier years and got to the stage where he was obsessively exercizing, even at school. He'd run up and down stairs over and over until he was exhausted... things like that. Everything progressed over the next year and he became very ill indeed and needed hospitalization and treatments.

It was a very difficult time for his whole family as well. I think about that boy all the time. He'd be about 20 years old now. I have no idea if he's doing well or not. It's just a reminder about how it's not only girls or women who have these issues and the bullying was certainly a trigger.