Old 01-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica de Lara View Post
Ivpound, can i ask you what your levels of b6 are??

I recently got tested for some vits and these are my results:

Vitamin B1 4.0 μg/dL
Vitamin B6 67 nmol/L
VITAMINA E Alfa-Tocopherol 8.4 mg/L 2.4 - 20.0
Gama-Tocopherol 1.1 mg/L 0 - 4.7

The ranges from the lab say this is normal, but i have heard it is a different story for people with neuropathy, are these levels normal for people with neuropathy?
Labs in different countries report differently.
Vit B6 is also reported as 5-30 nanograms/milliliter for "normal"
(I don't know the conversion to nanomoles as reported in Monica's post).

Labs choose ranges based on statitistics of an average of what they consider "normal"...these ranges are often different and
should be reported with the results. People often don't realize that the "normal" range is pretty arbitrary.

I think most vitamin testing is iffy myself. The very high and very low numbers suggest something, with the middle range meaning very little. This is because some people REQUIRE more than others. In the case of B6..there is a condition called B6 dependency, which means that those patients require much more than "normal".
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/985667-overview

Also autistic patients often test high for B6 even when they do not use supplements. This is thought to be due to faulty conversion to P5P in the liver, and the pyridoxine just accumulates in the serum. But the true explanation is still unknown with certainty.

Metabolic differences between people exist and can be significant.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Monica de Lara (01-23-2009), sadfeet (01-24-2009)