View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 07:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Surgery

Hi Kandra,
Before I had brain surgery done I had to go through a lot of tests. I had an MRI, CT and Pet Scan, e.e.g., Wada test, Spect scan, visual field tests, along with neuropsych. tests to be sure I could handle the surgery both emotionally and physically. I had ultrasound surgery done where you have to stay awake during the surgery except when they cut into the skull, they put you out for that but in many cases the patient will wake up before they are done cutting and that's what I did. I was in the hospital for 10 days after surgery. I couldn't lay on my right side for 6 months nor could I get my head wet for 6 months. The worst part of the surgery for me was getting 5 shots across my forehead for the local anthesisa to go into my system and then they put 42 staples in my skull and when it came time to pull them out it hurt like crazy. Today a person can have gamma knife surgery done this type of surgery is a lot safer and much quicker. The Dr. pinpoints the area of the brain triggering sz. and then they will drill 4 small holes into the skull to put a special helmet and then they wish high frequency radio waves and radiation to destroy the area causing sz. many people go home the same day they have surgery. some have to stay overnight if they receive to much radiation or if there are any problems. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote