View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
P.S. They raised my husband's premium almost double. Alan feels that they found out about his health, his stent, his IVIG, etc. and that's why they did that. Do you think this is at all possible?

It's hard to say without knowing what the insurance policy is and who it is through.

I know that with most term life (say it is a term life insurance policy you bought through AARP) health plays NO part in rates. They cannot raise premiums for health. Their policy is rated by age (25-35, 35-45,etc) and when a rate change is implemented, it is across the age class, meaning everyone in that age class pays the same rate. Those policies state how their rates can be raised and they have to abide by those policies. If they institute a change it has to affect ALL policyholders in that class and they cannot single anyone out.

You SHOULD have received a notice of rate increase prior to receiving your bill.

It may be worth your while to look into a different term life policy rather than paying such a high rate. Again, I don't know who your policy is through but there ARE policies out there for people who cannot get regular life insurance. I used AARP as an example because my fiance just received information on that. It's a $15,000.00 benefit policy and asks NO health questions. There was no information as to whether you could increase the benefit to a higher amount. There's others floating around out there with no health questions asked. Obviously if you have a nice high benefit, you may want to hold onto what you have, since you may not be able to find one with a high benefit amount again.

Hope this helps!

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Riverwild is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote