View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 06:28 PM
visitor

15 yr Member
visitor

15 yr Member

Both the OS and my regular dentist said that 2 may need to be cleaned out but I may be a slow healer so leave it alone for now. It is still reddish. I have yet another question. The tooth on the flipper is higher than the gum by about a millimeter. It may look like the old tooth when the impression was taken but now it looks pointy on top and way too big. As you know, I had a bone graft so still healing. My dentist said the gum will recede and the flipper will fit better but I thought with the gum graft, the gum will get bigger and be even lower. I asked if the tooth can be filed down in the lab and he said no. It looks so big...nobody will look at the top of my gum but after paying so much for this, shouldn't it loook better? It matches exactly but looks kind of at an angle, just not meeting the gum correctly. Will my gum in fact recede and go back to its original shape which is more arched, un which case the tooth will fit better? I am so unclear on this. Thank you so much for the tips. I can't speak normally and it feels like it is squeezing my teeth, so uncomfortable. I'll do what you and my dentist said though. I don't see how I will ever get used to this, feels like a mountain in my mouth :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi sandy,

Great to hear that #11 site is healing well. Did the OS comment on the #2 site at all?

Getting use to a removable partial denture, or flipper in your case, can be a bit tricky. It should be worn for several hours at a time throughout the day. Your cheek muscles, your tongue, your palate, and the areas that are missing teeth have to adapt to something being there and this takes time. If you leave it out too often, then you will never get acclamated to wearing it and it will always have that stiff, awkward, pinching feeling. Once your mouth adapts to it, the bulkiness will go away and speaking and eating will be easier.

It is important to wear it enough to see where you may develop sore spots so your dentist can make the proper adjustments. If you only wear it once and awhile, the dentist cannot tell where it needs to be adjusted and he could end up ruining the fit completely.

I suggest to patients to put it in after breakfast in the morning and then don't take it out again until lunchtime. After lunch put it back in until dinner. After dinner put it back in until you go to bed. Leave it out while you sleep.

After about a week or two of that, then try eating one meal with it. Gradually work your way up to eating every meal with it. But always leave it out while you sleep so your oral tissue gets a rest. The mouth is a perfect place to develop a fungal infection so it is important to let the oral tissue breathe (not covered) while you sleep.

I find that this regimend works well for most people because it can become very frustrating if you try to make the partial work all at once rather than giving yourself time to break it in.

Also, make sure that you thoroughly brush your partial denture when you take it out of your mouth and before you put it in after it's been sitting for awhile. This also helps to lessen the chance of developing a fungal infection.

Bryanna ~'.'~
sandy60 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote