View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 07:23 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sicca Syndrome/Sjogrens Syndrome

So, is there a difference? When my sleep doc told me I may have Sicca Syndrome, I had never heard of it. When I researched it online, not much is said about Sicca, and often refers back to Sjogrens. I found this:

http://palm.skynetmd.com/skymain_sea...lm&li=palm&v=2

Quote:
If the person has symptoms suggestive of Sjogren's, such as excessive dryness of the eyes and mouth, thirst, gritty sensation in the eyes, red injected eyes, mouth sores, abnormal taste, cavities, recurrent nosebleeds, cough, hoarseness, swelling in front of the ears (parotid enlargement), arthritis like symptoms.
I have a mouth full of fillings, and now, broken teeth. I have been diagnosed with dry eyes, although my boss, also my optometrist, says it's hormonal or allergies, so I use Refresh or Systane Ultra every day. The gritty sensation in my eyes is a daily occurance. The dry throat started last year, and now that I have a CPAP machine, I am finding the dryness much worse, with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth every morning. Years ago, my voice changed to the deep, raspy voice I have now. I spend most of one summer with no voice at all. Dry nasal passages is a daily occurance too.

I also know there are different ways of testing for Sicca/Sjogrens, some better than others. What is the best way?

Thank you.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote