View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart

Well, I guess I was one who suggested some rest or time out. People who suggest those thoughts of things mean well. I don't believe it's totally unrealistic. I think that sometimes people can see the weight being carried and if they put themselves in the other person's shoes then they feel they might not be able to manage.

I actually don't know everyone's personal situation or whether there are other relatives or friends or support networks available to each and every one of you all. I do know though that when I was in situations where I did urgently need some rest there was no-one available to give it and to complicate matters I didn't know where to look for it or ask for it plus I'm not good at asking for help anyway. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

It might sound unrealistic to suggest that a person who is giving 100% of themselves to care for another or others gets some rest or 'me' time, but sometimes we just have to. In a situation that I was in, I figure I would have died otherwise from physical and emotional fatigue, ill health and burnout.

Taking a bath is excellent 'me' time (although some people might only have a shower). Try some epsom salts in the bath and it'll be very relaxing. Light a candle even... Try essential oil burners. Try Rescue Remedy.

There are also some excellent relaxation cds available these days and of course there's the old relaxation exercize where you lie down and close your eyes and tense then release the muscles starting at the tippy toes and going allll the way slowly but surely through each muscle group until you get to the head. Can be done really slowly or can be done faster, but after it's done then it's a re-charge for a bit longer. All of those things can be restful or 'me time'. Doesn't have to be for hours... can just be for 10 minutes. The benefits last much longer though I've found.

Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (01-25-2009), barbo (01-25-2009), Doody (01-26-2009), mistiis (01-25-2009), Nik-key (01-26-2009), SandyC (01-25-2009), who moi (01-26-2009)