Thread: Abdominal pain
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 04:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Abdominal pain

I live in a remote community in Northern Ontario Canada. We have no neurosurgeon here, not even a neurologist, so I'm often at a loss at what to do with any shunt problems. I had a vp shunt placed in 1996 at the age of 41 and although my condition improved initially, it has deteriorated since. I did have several CT scans and MRIs since and they all indicate the pressure on the brain is building, the brain is shrinking, but no neurosurgeon wants to operate. They all say it's too dangerous. Now, I'm experiencing pain for the first time at the adominal end of the shunt. Sometimes, it's stabbing, other times just a dull ache. It interferes with sleep and is driving me nuts. Doctors up here don't even know what hydrocephalus is and the neurologist that used to come here, only does teleconferences now...something I'm unable to follow. What I want to know is whether this abdominal pain is something to worry about. I've always had headaches, seizures etc. and doctors seem to think that's normal, but abdominal pain right at the shunt exit?? I have no explanation for that. And in the absence of doctors who know up here, I'm wondering what to do.
jeff179120 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote