Thread: dental work
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

I have had quite a lot of dental work done in the past few months including a tooth extracted, a root canal and a filling!! I was VERY nervous about going to the Dentist when I first developed RSD and I kept putting it off and putting it off without actually realising that my teeth needed sorting sooner rather than later!!

I did speak to my Pain Management Doctor about RSD and Dental Work and told him about my concerns of spreading etc and he said that his advice to most dentists when treating someone with RSD is to give them twice as much Anaesthetic as they do in a "normal" patient as that should try and combat any spreading and it is really important that we don't deal with any more pain than we actually have to!!

I haven't had too many problems with Dental Work with RSD but I DID make sure my Dentist knew about RSD and gave him all of the booklets to read etc and thankfully, he read them and followed the advice that my PM Doctor gave him. When I had the root canal done on Thursday, I had a lot of pain afterwards but thankfully it's settled down somewhat now ... I think what made it worse was that the Dentist kept hitting the nerves with the drill and I also ended up having to have 7 injections of anaesthetic as my gum wouldn't go numb - my Dentist believes that is from the RSD!

Here's an article on the American RSD Hope website about Dental Work and RSD - I printed it off and showed it to my Dentist and he found it really interesting!:

http://www.rsdhope.org/Showpage.asp?...1&PGCT_ID=3396

I hope this helps somewhat and if you have any questions, please let me know! I wish you the best of luck with your dental treatment and hope you don't have any more problems!!