View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 03:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Keggy,

Thank goodness YOU realize the dangers of having a chemo patient exposed to so many people...

Did I read your post right? The suprise party is at the patients house?

One of the most important things for chemo patients is the ability to retreat and go home anytime they feel ill, tired, etc... Having a large gathering at home takes away the persons ability to retreat to a quiet place to relax, sleep, etc...

This is such a bad idea on sooo many levels - but I'm glad that you recognize that and that you are trying to get her family to realize that.

IF for some reason they insist on going through with the party, you should work with the doctor and ask the doctor if he/she would be willing to supply you with a big box of infection-control items. Masks, gowns, head coverings, shoe covers, gloves, etc... a giant bottle of Purell, along with a container of Sani-Wipes so that the guests can sanitize their pocket books and anything else that might have a germ on it.

And then you should stand at their front door and make every guest put the infection control outfit on after they use Purell sanitizer on their hands and the sani-wipes on their personal items (purse, gifts, anything that the patient might touch or go near or anything that might transfer a germ to the home).

It sounds extreme, but when the patient has no immune system (or even a lowered immune system) a simple cold could kill them... and if her family is a bunch of idiots that don't realize the dangers, at least her good friend (YOU) can help her to avoid getting ill.

I hope your friend realizes how blessed and lucky she is to have you as a friend and to have someone in her life who cares so much about her.

Liz
Wittesea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote