View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 04:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope15 View Post
The last couple of days haven't been extremely horrible. I've been busy and distracted, and the pain level has been more bearable. Infact, there were times yesterday when I even forgot I had neuropathy, and that sure is rare!

Last night I went to bed and about a half an hour later, I started feeling burning, searing, and shooting pain practically all over my body. I even had new pain in parts that I have never felt before. I was scared and upset and got up to sit in the living room. How could I have had a better day and then had such a horrid night?

I started thinking about what I did that day. Of course I could say it is just the progression of the disease. Other things did dawn on me though. I had eaten way too many sweets and junk food that day. I had a candy bar and later on a bowl of ice cream that night. I rarely would do that. The other thing is that just before bed, my husband gave me a deep back rub, up and down my spine. Now even though an MRI of my lower spine stated that no nerves were being compressed at the lumbar region, my back still hurts like hell from the neck down to the lower spine. My back also burns a lot. I really need to also have an MRI on my thoracic and cervical spine as well. Finally, I took some new vitamins that were recommended on this site, and I doubt that caused it.

Being new to neuropathy, I also wanted to ask about flares. Is this when one's neuroapthy flares up at certain times, or does flaring come from a certain kind of neuroapthy?

Also, I don't think the 1800 mg of gabapentin is cutting it.

It's all so depressing, as I am sure all of my fellow neuropathy sufferers know. Can someone remind me again about those who have gotten better in spite of experiencing horrible pain? Like my name, I need to have hope.

Thanks for any thoughts and input...
Hope 15 - ask your doc about increasing your gabapentin. That might help. I tried gabapentin but changed to Lyrica and am having more relief from pain. I also take amityrptilene at bedtime with tramadal for breakthrough pain. As far as flares, mine got worse when I had alot of sugar so I stopped that. Also, I used to like a cocktail every now and again. Alcohol bothers me also. However, my biggest offender seems to be work. When I have a very hectic day a work all heck breaks loose with my feet/legs/hands/arms.

How long have you had neuropathy? Hang in there!
Leslie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote