View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 05:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 4 Concussions, But still goin!

Hello, My name is Bryant and I am a 5th year senior in high school. I am very happy to of come across such a community so that I could share my experiences with other people who are going through the same thing!

What brings me here are 4 major concussions I have sustained over the past 6 years of my high school/middle school football career. I may of had more over my 10 year's of football experience starting in the 4th grade, but none of them seemed very significant compared to a year & 1/2 ago at the beginning of my junior year of football, when I was carried off the field on a stretcher, thought to have a fractured/broken neck along with neurological damage. My neck was fine, but it turned out I had a documented stage three Brain Concussion. Stage 1 being the lightest case, Stage 3 is the closest you can get to irreversible damage that's still considered to be fully recoverable. I then proceeded through my junior year football season on the bench for 8 weeks and then proceeded to finish the final 2 games.

The next year I received 2 concussions 1 after another in 2 consecutive games, which of course finished my football and sports career.

With this said, I am 2 months into the recovery of the last 2 and doing much better! After a lot of discussion I am being treated with an ADD/ADHD drug called Vyvanse which treats a cognitive learning disorder I had prior to the injuries but helps IMMENSELY with the troubles I am facing in my post concussive syndrome(Which has been the last 4 years of my life lol (got to laugh about it to get over it I always say)). Troubles like complete inability to focus.

The effects of my head injuries has caused me the following:

* Suicide Thoughts (Not as many Now!!!)
* noticeable dyslexia when reading or speaking
* Memory Loss
* Very noticeable visual Flashes, streaks, BLUE light smudges <no idea why blue, but blue none the less> all located in my vision
* random head pains/discomfort
* Severe Depression/Anxiety
* Random uncomfortable sensations etc.

I hope my story was not to burdening to read, but I felt like if there's a place to get it out this would be it! If anyone has experienced the same thing or has any information to share I'm totally open! Any ideas for behaviors I could integrate into my lifestyle to improve how I feel, or any advice, I am happy to be here and have much to share!

-Beastlyb
Bryant
beastlyb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote