View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 05:10 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Zip Lock Bags

I realize this is an old thread, but I suppose cooking is pretty much a current problem for most of us. I just want to share a tip about mixing things. For me, it can be much easier to mix things (such as cookie dough or meat loaf) or crush things (such as crackers) if I put them in a ziplock bag. For mixing, you can just squeeze the bag. The bag also helps keep the cold off of your hands.

Ziplocks bags (I use a brand with the slider deal, it's easier to close-I think it's called OneZip) can also be used to break the work of a recipee into small steps. For example: Step 1: find all dry ingredients and place on counter. Step2: Measure out flour-put in bag and mark with permanent marker. Step 3:
Put rest of dry ingredients in bag & mark it. Step 4: Break eggs into separate bag and set in frig. etc. This way, the steps can be worked on over 2 days even and everything will stay sanitary.

Putting the yolks, mustard, mayonnaise, etc. in a bag to mix, and then cutting off a tip of the bottom corner and using it as a pastry bag is an easy way to make deviled eggs. You can even transport the eggs to a party or potluck and easily pipe the yolk mixture in the whites when you get there.

Another thing that helps: ask family member if they will put things back for you when you are done and check the item for doneness when timer goes off-bc by then, you might be in bed too exhausted to move-or crying in pain from cooking. Remember to ask the family to please bring you a serving when it is done. If you don't-it might not dawn on them that you will be too exhausted to get up and get your share.

Happy cooking! (and eating!)
~~~~~hua.org~~~~~
Hearts United for Animals
has lots of "magic pain pills"
just waiting to be adopted!
GmaSue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote