View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006, 02:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default thank you Lois

Hi Lois,
I had graves disease that probably went undiagnosed for about 4 years. I was in thyroid storm when they finally did the blood work and then the uptake. I absorbed the iodine in less than 2 hours. They actually thought the machine was broke and then did a cat scan of the stomach to see if I had dissolved the pill. I was only 39 and three doctors told me that I was wearing my body out very quickly. With a resting heart rate of 160-165, it was assumed that I would have a massive heart attack in the near future. I opted for the surgery and they had to remove it all.
I take 100 mcg of synthroid daily and until recently had no real problems. Four years ago I gained 20 lbs with a TSH of 0.02. No one has been able to figure out why my levels fluctuate so much and these 4 years have been one illness after another. Seems like we can't concentrate on one for very long because another issue crops up. I really do feel like a medical freak.
It means so much to me to talk to people who understand how it feels to feel so crappy and at times show no outward signs of illness. Some times I feel like a hypochondria who real has.........
I am sure you understand. I also would love to talk to anyone who has been on steroids for any length of time. I am at 26 mg from 65 mg. This has been for 3 and 1/2 months now. I have had a horrific time with this drug and am now off of work because my already severe osteoporosis is exacerbated to a point that I am in constant pain and am not allowed to pick up anything heavier than a gallon of milk. I never leave my house due to the way I look and feel. The steroid-induced psychosis if unreal and the few rational days I have make me realize how crazy I was. It is always nice to see yourself being a lunatic, LOL. What a mess, hey?
I just can't wait to get to Mayo............. I hope to God that they won't say that they have never seen a case like mine!!!!!! I have heard that enough. Just having someone listen and understand is so therapeutic.
Thank you, thank you. I feel like such a burden on my family and friends.
I am anxious to hear back from you and if you could find someone who can relate to my prednisone nightmare, I would be forever indebted. This has been the hardest part of all my illnesses put together.
Your friend,
Judy
heyjude5050 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote