View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 07:09 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I feel like I keep repeating myself, in every section I read, I give this advice. Almost 9 yrs ago, my sister was diagnosed with low iron. She had to have iron IV transfusions once a week for 2 months or so, then they told her she would need them once a month for the rest of her life. They didn't search for an underlying cause. Her husband did, online, he researched and researched. One thing kept jumping out at him...celiac disease. She had to insist that her doctor test her for celiac, he said it's too rare and she could not possibly have it. He was WRONG!

Now, scientists have found that celiac/gluten intolerance is not rare at all...doctors thinking to check for it was rare. In the US, 1 in every 100 people have this disease, and only 1% of them know it.

Celiac is well known for causing iron deficiency, B12 deficiency, MS, neuropathy, arthritis, the list goes on and on. If you do have celiac, and do not go gluten free, your iron problem will never correct itself. A celiac's body does not absorb nutrients while gluten is still present.

Get tested for celiac disease, insist on it, even if your doctor doesnt feel it's necessary. If your test comes back negative, which there are so many false negatives in this area, go gluten free and see what happens.

Check out the Gluten Sensitive section in this forum.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote