View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 03:03 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomom View Post
.........Are you able to take baths with the patch? Is there a trick to that? Are you able to go in pools or the ocean at all? Can you remove the patch for a hot bath & reapply the same one? ...............
Hi Glo. I don't use one, but my husband wears a pain relief patch. His is not Fentanyl though.

He showers with his patch uncovered, but every now and then one or more of the sides lifts up, but then if that happens I simply seal the patch all around on all four sides with tape. That's helped, so far!

Same thing for swimming whether it be in the ocean or pools.

Never remove your patch for any reason unless your doctor tells you to do so. All patches consist of slow release medications, which release the medication contained within over a long period of time, and if you take your patch off, you stop the medication from working! If the patch contains pain relief, then you won't have any pain relief at all.

Slow release medications are reliant on the fact that they stay on your skin for a certain number of hours. If you interrupt those hours by removing the patch.... you cannot be guaranteed that the medication contained in the patch will actually work again when you try to re-attach the patch.

My personal opinion is that patches are wonderful. The mere fact that you can have (say) 3 days pain relief without having to change the patch, has to be a big plus........but........if the analgesic effects of your patch are running out a little before the predicted 72 hours, why don't you mention it to the doctor who prescribed them for you? Maybe he/she might change the prescription to (say) 65 hours, instead of the 72 hours that you have at the moment.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Koala77; 02-03-2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: added a bit.
Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
glomom (02-03-2009)