View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertime View Post
Hi everyone

I'm still suffering with so much pain. Like many of you, my doctor has tried different medications but I was not tolerating them, so I'm back to my other med's.

I believe my rsd has spread to my foot. The pain began a week or two ago and now it's burning, it hurts like **** to walk on my foot. It's all the same side that I have rsd. When I was first diagnosed it was in my groin area from surgery then spread down from there over time.

This is horrible. I am praying for some miracle but it doesn't happen.
Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. I know many of you are suffering much worse than I am....I really shouldn't be complaining, but I feel like I'm so alone in this nightmare.

Thanks for listening.

Summertime,
I am SO sorry to hear how much pain you are in. Have you contacted your Pain Doc to see about getting a nerve block ASAP??? The quicker they can start treating this new site, the more likely it can calm the symptoms down. As much as it hurts......try to remember that the pain is caused from your nerves misfiring. Try as much as you can to keep the foot limber and touch it as much as you can (however lightly you need to at first) to desensitize it. I have been very fortunate to get my allodynia down to a manageable level by doing that. I would FORCE myself to lightly touch it several times a day, or sleep without socks to let it touch the sheets, or have my husband lightly rub it when I couldn't force myself to. It took over a month, but I can actually put lotion on that foot now!! It still hurts sometimes more than others, but I have to keep reminding myself that it is just the RSD and that there really ISN'T broken glass in there or ants biting my toes (though sometimes I still check just to make sure!!).

You never need to apologize for your pain. It is just as real and intense and scary to you as others' is to them. I don't think anyone is trying to win any contests here for being in the "most" pain. You are absolutely NOT alone in this. Every person here knows what this monster feels like.

My advice is to keep praying (God DOES hear every prayer, though sometimes He says that His grace is sufficient for now), keep that foot moving (even just moving it back and forth to keep it limber.....do NOT immobilize it), and call your Pain Doc. Do whatever you can do to relax and keep yourself calm and comfortable in the interim. Warm (NOT hot) epsom salt soaks are soothing and you can wiggle your foot/toes around in the water.

You know I have a lot of the same med issues as you and I understand how frustrating it is to do the trial and error process. How much time did you give them in between changes in doses or meds??? Sometimes it can take our bodies a month to fully adjust, and I wouldn't let them start me on more than one at a time so that I could tell which one was working vs. causing more problems. I also tried giving my body much longer than they recommended before trying to increase the dose. I'm still playing around with what is going to work for me and give me the most relief with the least side effects.

Please keep writing and keep us posted on how you're doing. You can PM me any time you want to vent or need to talk!!! I'll keep you in my prayers!!
MominPainRSD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Summertime (02-03-2009)