View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:24 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Unhappy I'm terrified

Hi everyone,
I'm Jenny and I'm here because my husband was injured on Jan 8 of this year by an accidental gunshot wound. The bullet seems to have hit his sciatic nerve up high in the leg and he has been experiencing severe pain in his foot ever since. This morning we finally saw a neurologist who diagnosed causalgia. I had never heard of RSD or CRPS until this morning and I've been on the internet all day reading stories like yours. My gosh, I am amazed that some of you have been dealing with this for decades! It has been just less than a month for us and it's already seemed an eternity.

This accident happened one day before my husband's last day of work at his full time job, which he was leaving to pursue is dream of joining me full time on our small family farm. He has been on crutches ever since and the pain is so bad when he stands up that he can only be out of bed for a few minutes. I have been caring for all the livestock and our two young kids who are homeschooled in addition to all the housework, taxes, bills, etc.

He has just started gabapentin and we have an appt. with the pain clinic on Wednesday. Is there anyone here from the Albuquerque area who can recommend a Dr?

I am terrified not just by the pain component of this but also the depression. He was already suffering from bad depression before this happened. We were hoping that getting him home on the farm full time would help this. Now he is facing the possibility of never ending chronic pain and doctor visits, which he hates, and not being able to do anything on the farm, not to mention the financial stress this will cause.

One good thing is that he has been getting regular massage therapy since the first week of the accident. He is trying to bear weight on the foot and the massage therapist is able to do a lot of good stretches and work out the cramping he gets in his calf.

I'm glad to have found you. I'll start by asking if you have any advice for our pain clinic appointment on Wednesday.

And please know that I believe you when you say how painful this is!

Thanks,
Jenny
salten is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ali12 (02-03-2009)