View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 01:26 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi Joan, and merry Christmas,

I think I told this Christmas shopping story at BT, but some people haven't read it.

My son Sean, a cop at the time, had driven me to K-Mart to push me around the store while I did my annual Dec 24 shopping. I'm not too imaginative and knew I hadn't bought my wife a watch the year before, so I had him push me to the jewelry counter; which was packed 3 deep.

I finally made it to the counter and was looking for a watch I could afford when this jerk grabbed the handles to my chair and pulled me backward. I figured Sean had wandered away, but he hadn't; instead, in barely a moment he had his fist around the jerk's tie (near the knot), his badge in front of the guy's face and both feet firmly planted on the toes of the jerk's shoes.

He told the guy that in Kansas, forcibly moving someone from one place to another -- even just a couple of feet -- was felony kidnapping. He said that since the victim in this case was his father, they probably wouldn't prosecute the jerk for kidnapping, but he was a sure bet to be convicted for battery and the guy's lawyer would leave the court with "...more money than you can afford".

He added that he thought if the guy apologised to me nicely, the incident could probably end right there, but if the guy wanted, he could call his lieutenant and let him decide what to do. The jerk mumbled an apology, Sean released his tie and stepped back off his feet, but quietly followed the man to the parking lot and wrote down his license number.

"I don't think he will," Sean told me, "but if I ever see his car parked in a handicapped parking space he'll get a $75.00 ticket every half hour until he gets back".

He added that he knew I didn't want to spend Christmas Eve filling out forms, but the guy would have been convicted of battery and would have had to pay his lawyer several thousand dollars.

"Besides, it's Christmas"

He was right, of course. and when we finally left the store we were filled with the Spirit of Christian forgiveness. Plus, the guy would still have to pay to get his shoes shined...Vic
Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote