View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Osteopenia

Hi ewizabeth,

According to the extended research, there is no reason why someone who has osteopenia should be taking a Bisphosphonate. There are other ways to treat your condition that would benefit your long term health and increase your bone density.

First of all, your hormones should be checked to see what your imbalances are so they can be adjusted. Hormones play a huge role in our bone health! The most efficient way to test hormone levels are via saliva testing because this method tests the unbound hormones that are circulating in the bloodstream. Serum hormone tests measure the hormones that have already been utilized which is irrelvant. See ZRT labs website for information. Once the results are known, then a compounding pharmacy can make a formula of hormone(s) that is best suited for your individual needs. These hormones are called Biological or Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy. They can be be made in a cream, a gel, oral pills, sublingual drops, patches......etc. They are very different than synthetic hormones and do not cause the unwanted side effects or increase the risk of cancer. The body accepts these type of hormones so readily that only minute amounts need to be taken. Of course the saliva testing should be repeated periodoically so the dosages can be adjusted accordingly. AND of course you need a practitioner to order the hormones! Women's International Pharmacy has a list of practitioners that they will send out in the mail. You could visit their website for information too.....

Along with weight bearing exercise, the other huge issue with osteopenia and osteoporosis is proper nutritional supplemenation. Again extended research clearly says for bone health we need to supplement with specific amounts of calcium, magnesium, boron, vitamin D3, and vitamin K2. Another supplement that has been shown to increase bone density is called Strontium. Here's an informative site on that....
http://www.drhoffman.com/page.cfm/447

Honestly, you are one of the people that falls into the category of the physician prescribing a Bisphosphonate like candy. This drug is NOT for you and it can have unwanted long term side effects even after you stop taking it because it remains in the bone for 10 years once you stop taking it.

There is a place for these drugs in certain individuals, but certainly not as a preventive measure in someone with osteopenia when proper nutritional supplementation and exercise can achieve far greater results in your overall well being.

I know it's difficult to get a doctor to step outside of their practicing box and become knowledgable about other non pharmaceutical ideas....... but it is imperative that we insist our doctors become better informed about what they are prescribing. In the meantime, seeking an Integrative physician (IAOMT website may be helpful) is perhaps the best option we have as the mainstream docs slowly catch on.

Thanks for your post.......... I think there will be many others who can relate to it!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewizabeth View Post
I'm taking Fortical, a nasal mist similar to Boniva or the others. I see my PCP on Wednesday so I'm going to ask him about this. I'll go off this med if the risk is so high. I have osteopenia and if I have to I'll exercise each day to get off this medicine.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (02-03-2009), Jomar (02-04-2009)