View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 01:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up Bioidenticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslday View Post
I'm just wondering if there are others here who are in Perimenopause too?

When I first got RSD almost 7 years ago my PMS and periods got much worse, I attributed it to my RSD but was never sure if it was just the natural process of perimenopause. Now I realize that my body is in the final stages of perimenopause as I'm starting to miss periods and feel like I'm in a constant state of bad PMS. Given that RSD affects our adrenal function it makes sense that these symptoms are more intense, but perhaps its normal. I'm not really sure what normal is any more.

My GP doesn't seem to be too up on the latest treatments for this and said he could only offer me conventional hormone replacement therapy. Given the fact that the synthetic hormones used for HRT have been proven to increase the risk of breast cancer and heart disease I am not inclined to go down that road yet I'm at a serious risk of osteoporosis given that it is already firmly entrenched in my rsd foot. I can't take the bisphosphonates normally prescribed for women after menopause because of my tinnitus.

I've been reading about bioidentical hormones in Dr. Christine Northrups book. The problem here is that any doctors who practice this type of medicine are opted out of the medicare system so nothing is covered under insurance. They charge a lot of money for consultations and testing, then you have to pay for the hormones on top of that.

Given that Oprah has opened the dialog about this on TV, I'm wondering if there are others here who would be willing to discuss your experiences with perimenopause and how RSD may have affected the choices you have made regarding the treatment options currently available.

Looking forward to learning more about your journey through this.

MsL
I Have been on bioidenticals for five years. With the onset of menopause my symptoms were terrible. I spoke with my GYN and decided that bioidenticals would be my first try after much research and hormone level testing. With Hot flashes, no sleep, and the I'm gonna kill you if you look at me attitude, for the safety of my family I got in the car and drove to another town to pick up my bioidenticals from a compounding pharmacy. The medical Arts Pharmacy in Alamorgordo, New Mexico. Hal Simms and Bryan both are very informed pharmacists. The bioidenticals cost me about $80.00 per month. They send them to me in the mail. They take care of people from all over the world. I don't know your location but you could do some research for a compounding pharmacy near you or you could just call Hall or Bryan. MY life is so much better and at this point I have weighted the odds and quality of life comes first for me. I also have read Christine's book, and Suzanne Summer's book. Both are informative. I can't say enough about bioidenticals even though I realize this has to be a personal choice. I'll just tell you, that for me it has been life changing. I'd tried to see if I could stop a few months back and the hair started falling out, the hot flashes were there again, no sleep, also I get really agitated. So I went back on the bioidenticals and I feel so much better.
One really needs to have their hormone levels checked. Having that balance in hormones is like night and day. Concentration is improved, pain levels are improved, energy, sleep, the benefits of proper hormone levels is so critical.
Here is the phone number for The Medical Arts Compounding Pharmacy, I'm sure they will send you some information or a hormone testing kit, about $100.00 or both. If nothing else you could probably get some good advice. 575-437-8741. Hal or Bryan. I think this is a very important subject to be discussed among women and maybe some of the others will drop in with some more advice. I do realize that there is controversy about and around bioidenticals, so again this has to be purely a personal decision. I know you will find the right solution for you. All the best, Di
DianaA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sandel (11-05-2009)