View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default If you're referring to me, I did not mean to be sarcastic--

--I mainly meant to be very specific in defining terms, which is not only very important with doctors, but important for places such as this one in order to get optimum communication and advice.

And this is not to say that small-fiber neuropathy is a minor thing. Symptomatically it can be horrible. The problem is that many neurologists see normal EMG/NCV's and a lack of other abnormal tests and can be dismissive, as they can't "see" pain and numbness. But those are very debilitating in their own right.

This is why I often recommend a skin biopsy for people with these symptoms--it can often unequivocally document that people have an actual condition.

And, I'm glad that you can tolerate that much dancing (I can tolerate a considerble amount of exercise myself), in that it means at least the condition has not yet spread. It is not uncommon, unfortunately, for a syndrome that starts out with small-fiber disruption to show some spread to the large fibers over time. But this is not universal, and I hope it never happens to you.

Believe me, nobody here thinks you're hypochondriacal.

The other health situations you describe may be related to the TIA's--how far have they gone in imaging your brain? There may also be an unknown autoimmune process going on--have you been titired up for autoantibody types beyond the ANA subtypes (anti-reticulin, anti-endomyesial, anti-nerve, etc., etc.--just take a look at this list for a start):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoantibody

The Liza Jane spreadsheets are also a good place to look at these kinds of tests (it was put together to try to get as exhaustive a list of tests for neural symptoms as possible):

www.lizajane.org
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote