View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Are you sure you have PN?
I can't think of anyone on these boards
who can do even 1/10th of what you describe.

This is the comment that "upset" me. My interpretation of that comment was the same 'ole "But you don't look sick" that I've gotten from everyone for the last 7 or more years.

I did have punch biopsies done at my ankle, above the knee and the upper thigh. I don't have those results yet. (Have to deal with a not so nice nurse to get them). I do have the QSART results. It reads: QSART responses at the left forearm and foot are recuced. These findings are nonspecific for etiology but are consistent with a postganglionic symapthetic abnormality like that seen in autonimic/small fiber neuropathy.
My neurologist is Dr. Chemali at the Cleveland Clinic Main Campus. His specialties are autonomic nervous system disorders, complex regional pain syndrome (reflex sympathetic dystrophy), painful peripheral neuropathies and music therapy.
This is a list of all the tests he ordered:
ANA Blood Lab; Anti ENA Id Lab; CBC + Auto Diff Lab; C-Reactive Protein (CRP) Lab; Comp Metabolic Panel Lab; Cryoglobulin Qual Bl Lab; Glucose Tolerance 2H Lab; Hiv Ab 1&2 Screen Lab; Hep Remote Panel Bl Lab; Monoclonal Prot Bld Lab; Rheumatoid Factor Bl Lab; Sed Rate Lab; Vitamin B12 Blood Lab; Monoclonal Prot Ur Lab; ParaneoplasT Autoabs Lab; Microsomal Ab Bld Lab; Lipid Panel Basic

Emg(Neuro/Ni) Procedures
Neuromuscular Health Status Other
Neuro Cardio Autonomic Reflex W/Wo Tilt Procedures
Neuro Qsart Procedures
Skin Biopsy For Neuropathy/CNL Procedures

I just downloaded her spreadsheets yesterday, and I've posted photos of my skin in other forums specific to autoimmune to see if anyone may have a clue as to what direction I should pursue. I'm pretty sure it is Autoimmune - it's just trying to find which one. My ANA was negative until 2005 so there is a good chance any of the sub-types may not show up for years.

The TIAs were during pregnacies (1990/1992) so no scans of any kind done at the time. I just had a CT of the head about 2 weeks ago and it was normal. The neuro I saw at the time said it was most likely caused by the elevated estrogen from being pregnant and the migraines I suffer, and I haven't had one since. I'm a progesterone dominant and don't tolerate estrogen well.

Having no insurance, and being unemployed, I can get financial aid from the Cleveland Clinic, but only for "medically neccessary" appointments. That said, I can't just walk into my docs office and ask for a lot of these tests. Not until I can point him in a direction. (He's a fantastic primary) We make too much money to qualify for state aid.

I was apologizing for MY sarcasim that may show up in my posts. I am VERY frustrated with this whole process. When I went to the neuro in December, I was convinced he was going to tell me it was my thyroid. Take this pill the rest of your life and it'll fix you. And it's not my thyroid and we STILL don't know why and he wanted to start me on an expensive therapy right away which scared the heck out of me. Until I found this place.

Thanks for the explanations. I'm trying to wade through this all, live with it and raise a 3yr old granddaughter. Not always an eay thing to do.
dmouse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote