Old 02-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doody View Post
I didn't even know they still manufactured Darvon! Wasn't Darvon that one that used to be in a capsule form, and druggies would take the 'magic' little tiny pill from the filler and shoot it up or some such nonsense?

My best friend takes Darvocet and she's a recovering alcoholic. Darvocette doesn't do a thing for my pain.
That was so long ago! Wow, you are betraying yourself, Doody.

Yes, it was Darvon Compound with the little pink pellet inside the capsule. (was the propoxyphene part)

Here is a story for you. When I first was training-- I did a summer in a hospital. One of my tasks was to remove the pink pellet from Darvon Compound capsules (Lilly) for orders from surgeons on the OB/GYN floor. Seems this rendered the capsule to an aspirin/caffeine placebo and was a test to see if the hysterectomy patients were "really" in pain.

Darvocet came out when the patent expired on Darvon Compound. Back then Tylenol w/Codeine was just coming out.
The only codeine mixture then was Empirin Compound #3 and 4. That oldie had phenacetin in it (APC w/Codeine) and the toxicity of phenacetin was being revealed, so the Tylenol formulation was considered a huge medical improvement.

I only took it once... I had two wisdom teeth pulled in the morning and went to work with the RX and took one there when the numbing wore off, and that drat @#$% Darvon made me so sick, I couldn't even stand UP. I was so dizzy from it, and had NO pain relief! Never took another! Always regarded it as evil actually myself!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (02-04-2009)