View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default ?? re: Mitral Valve Prolapse

Okay, this is off topic but I really need an answer here before I rush to my doctor and make a complete *** of myself.

I have mild mitral valve prolapse. I found out 26 years ago and my doctor regularly checks me and goes "no problem" and I'm scheduled for a whole battery of tests including ekg, etc at Cornell in January when I go for my two year updated visit.

My friend has arythmia problems, as does my cousin. I have never had any heart problems except for the mild mitral valve prolapse.

I also have never heard what mild mitral valve prolapse sounds like.
I've had echos, and ekgs. All were fine (had an ekg within the last 6 months) was fine.

So last night (after moving around heavy exercise equipment (while Alan was playing Rocky at the gym), I moved around my cross country ski machine, and I moved all the exercise equipment back and forth and I was tired. We also put out a heavy bookshelf in from of the house for garbage.

So I was felling exhausted. No heavy weight on my chest or anything like that but I've been feeling congested and I wake up all stuffed (I have allergies) Alan said I snored my head off last night and I should start using the sleep apnea machine again.

So last night I took my mom's stethescope and listened to my chest. I heard nice slow ba boom, ba boom, nice and regular. BUT once in while, the ba-boom changed and then went back to ba-boom. I could have 14 regular ba-booms and one change and back to regular ba-booms. Now I know that mitral valve prolapse presents with some kind of click but not being a doctor, I have no idea what a click is.

Now I have all kind of anxieties but I've never had palpitations, racing heart, or panic attacks. Never. And I didn't have one last night. I just heard the slow steady beating of my ba-booms, with the occasional (NOT A ba-boom).

So of course, I'm imagining all kinds of stuff. I wake up fine, and I sat down and meditated and I looked at the clock on the lower right of my computer monitor and I counted my heart beats for one minute. counted 65. That's good right? Yeah, there was that ocassional NOT A BA-BOOM thing.

This morning, I just ran into my friend who has an arythmia and I told her. She laughed and said "no, that's your mitral valve prolapse". I said "oh, it's not an arythmia?" and she said "no, that's when you throw PVC's, I know because it happened to me. She said an arythmia sounds, ba-boom,bum bum bum, ba-boom, bum bum bum, and not 14 ba-booms, and whatever the heck I was hearing.

So I feel a little congested, I'm blowing my nose (it's cold outside, what else is there to do but blow one's nose).

Can any of you experts tell me "melody, go and run to your doctor and check out your "not a ba-boom", or Melody, that's the mitral valve prolapse you are hearing.
My heart is not racing, I'm not sweating, no fever, I'm about to eat a nice bowl of low-sodium soup, but I'm scared to death.

My next doctor appointment is on December 18.
See, I'm the kind of person,if I have a pain in my arm, I went to Dr. Goldbetter and I said to him "how do you know I don't have Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis? And he burst out laughing and said "how do you even know how to pronouce that?" He showed me why I couldn't possibly have it and we had a laugh. I'm a worrier. This season is especially hard on me because of my son and I worry about everything so I at least want to know what this ba-boom thing is.

Am I throwing PVC's or do you think it's my mitral valve.

Just a little reassurance would be nice.

I just put the thing to my chest and I listened and at first every 7 heart beats, it would have that change from the ba-boom. And after a while I had 20 regular heart beats and the change from the ba-boom.
but my heart beat is steady and not fast at all.

Anybody know anything, or do I have to grab my bag and run to my doctor's office this afternoon?
thanks,
mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote