View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 11:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
People do recover from PCS. The statistics I have seen tell me that 99% are recovered in a year....what does that mean? I'm coming up to a year after my injury now. I have a life again but it's not quite what it was. I still get tinnitus in my right ear and I still experience depersonalisation and depression and I'm pretty much constantly struggling to just try to feel ok. I guess I have a lot to be thankful for though. I was ready to end it after my injury and those 6 months were utter hell. I was petrified I may never recover but I am getting a lot better. I just wish someone would post on here and tell us all about their complete recovery!!!
Hi benjamin,

Recovery is a long road. Depending upon both the severity and the area/s of brain injury, the effects can be temporary or permanent.

I had a mild TBI 3/07, the results are permanent. My TBI compounded the effects of my brain surgery 3/06. It's therefore tough for doctors to say what caused X issue for me. It just is. Most people I've spoken with (on tbi chat and in support groups) have permanent effects caused by their TBI. So, I'm curious who your source is for that statistic. That's a very high percentage of recovery!

Those with mild TBI's often have the largest problem dealing with the issue emotionally. Severe TBI sufferers thank God for every day of life and feel renewed joy & appreciation for everything they do have. Medium TBI sufferers adjust pretty well, as they have more obvious limits. Mild TBI is a blessing on one hand (we should truly be grateful!) and an incredible emotional burden (to accept that we are not the same). We have limits. We cannot do everything we did before - although a couple days per month we may feel pretty normal. Accepting that we are not the same, and we never will be, is not easy at all. Many with mild TBI struggle for *many years* trying to come to terms with who they are and the often overwhelming challenges they face. My occupational therapist told me that she's seen many with "mild" TBI for a good 20 years, and said that this type often had the most difficult time after injury.

My point is, work towards accepting your limits now. I'm sure that you are eager to get better - but the fastest way to do so is to accept those limits. I have to write everything down. Carry daily calendars, with specific info on what's happening when (and why!). Write in my journal daily, about what's happened that day & how I felt about it. If I don't write it, I forget it. My past is a blur. I take migraine medication as soon as I feel one coming on. I see a psychiatrist and psychologist regularly, and I bring my journal w/me to read about the past week or month. Otherwise, I only know how I feel right then. Sharing my journal really helps them understand how I have truly been. I also take anti-depressants and AED. Also try to control background noise whenever possible, to prevent distraction & memory lapse. I try very hard to be the best I can be. Sometimes, I try too hard - and that's when my life feels completely chaotic and miserable. Accepting my limits is very challenging, but necessary.

Hope that this helps you in some way. I have been in that very grim spot you find yourself in. It is miserable! ((hugs)) I understand. Best wishes benjamin!

Shez
shezbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote