View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 04:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I would like to thank - the three of you for your comments.

I actually thought this problem would be more prevalent in the PN community - than it seems to be. That is good. PN people don’t need even more problems to deal with. Some of my reading mentioned PN (or other nerve damage as a potential cause of this). Mostly they talk about type of shoe. Well since I’ve worked at home for 25 years ...... shoes are not used as much as most other people.

Jo*mar - I’m really not in the position to go to the “professionals” all that much. No insurance and living on my social security. Also often (most of the time) the professionals tell me the very same thing that my research has already told me.

The messages are normally “deal with it” or “spend thousands and thousands first THEN deal with it”. >>> "want some pills?"

glenntaj - while it could be - hereditary (in my case) is not as logical of an avenue (for me to dig into) as other potential causes and potential things that could help. What I am saying - that may be later in my research. No one in my family has any of this but .... I am not sure my father was my father. He was in a “dad” way but I’ve been told - not in a bio way.

Raglet ....... ugg - we have something to deal with ok. I have studied (need more) about the imbalance - weakness that causes it.

Right now I am digging at some potential logical causes (in my case). Some things I have done (and some born with) - some I have acquired (as others have) are my first places to start. ESPECIALLY things that might help - reduce the problem.

The cause is important - only from the STOP that standpoint. I am much more interested in things I can do about it - to reduce the negative effects on my life. I have a hermit type of lifestyle (after being married most of my life) but do like to get out of the house at least some. To me that means - motorcycle. I am not a “biker” but I am a motorcycle guy and have been for 50 years. Besides my motorcycle gets 71 MPG in town lol.

- PN
- smoked my entire life
- crunched my feet (clinched) 18 hours a day for a month
- toe stands - I’ve done toe lifts several times a day for four or five years now (thinking it would help - may have actually hurt)
- wore shoes all day long (for three months) - while sitting at my desk ........ I’ve never done that before EVER
- being born with big flat feet - longer 2nd toe

Rather than nothing - I got right on it. Research about it and research about potential helpful things.

There has already been “some” improvement. It could be mostly wishful thinking but .... really I think I have helped myself “some” already.

- toe stretchers ... silly as it sounds - I think EVERYONE should get some. I got some cheap ones from the drug store to use (and start getting use to) while some better (gel) ones were ordered (got them yesterday - HealthyToes).

These help your feet feel better folks ....... at least my feet and hundreds (yeah hundreds) of reviews from all kinds of people - with and without foot problems. YUP they are helping me.

- toe exercises

- understanding (kind of) about things like The Extensor Hallucis Longus / brevis

- shin stretches

- toe spacers

- toe crest cushions

- I altered my motorcycle boots. I went from “I can not walk 5 foot in them” - to “hey this is not too bad at all” - part alteration and part big toe getting / acting better.

and so on ........

Most of the improvement (so far - real or imagined) is in the big toe - and boy - any improvement there is very helpful.

At first - I had to move it by hand. Also my ankle could not be at 90degree (leg/foot 90degree).

NOW - I can wiggle all five toes without touching them.

AND - I can straighten my big toe - (without touching it) even at a 90degree (leg/foot) angle.

It still bends on its own (hammertoe-ish) when I pull my foot back (90degree angle) and straightens (on it own) if I slide my foot out from from straight down.

I am not sure if I am really on the way to helping myself but .... I really do think I have created at least SOME - improvement or slowed it down some or something.

When I first got PN - I bought a very very nice foot vibrator (250 bucks) and used it some - I am using that more also. I often use it while I have the toe stretcher on. I also think that is helping.

Thanks again guys for your comments.
Ron9 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote