View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 09:17 PM
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member

hi djs,

it is like reading about me...I developed my severe vocal tics around that age...

I kept everyone up with my loud vocal tics...my parents owned a mom and pop's shop and worked 12 hour days and couldn't sleep at night because of my vocal tics...

I was finally officially dx at 14 but still, my parents still had a hard time "accepting" that I have this disorder...

like Cheri suggested, by law, your child should have special accommodations at school.

What I think you should do is first of all, talk with your son about everything, ask him how he feels, if he feels the tics affects him to the point that it bothers him because it bothers others...different kids have different issues already beside tics and tics just add FUN to the mix...

he may feel like he doesn't want "SPECIAL" treatment...if so, maybe respect his wish and then tell him that if at any time he feels uncomfortable, that there are other plans that he can pursue so he'll feel better to have a back up plan...

as for your home life, the first thing I would suggest for both of you is to get over the shock...then get over the guilt...then get over the denial...

because any of those factors will keep the communications closed up between you and your son...

practice body languages that avoids:

"not my kid"
rolling eyes
pity looks
"this is killing me"

turn all that into positive energies, encourage him to do anything that he sets his heart and desires to...

tell him that there are sport stars with TS, actors with TS, Mozart had TS...

you and your hubby should probably look into counseling for yourselves to "ACCEPT" that he has TS...

it is one thing to KNOW that he has TS vs ACCEPTING that he has TS...

I think a good counselor is going to tell you to take away your guilt and stop saying to yourselves: "I gave this to him"

yes, you might have given him TS, but you've also gave him many other things...look into all the positive gifts that is your son...

as for his noise...don't ignore him or stop watching TV....don't let him feel like he's making you NOT able to watch TV...keep it on even though you feel like you can't watch it. Tape the shows for other times.

Try to workout schedules around him that will satisfy everyone...no, it won't be perfect but everyone will have to compromise, including the kid with TS...don't give him special treatments for that will make him feel worse about himself...

not preaching you...just from one TSer that did some soul searching after many years of struggles...

best of wishes and I hope you keep on talking to us..

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs817 View Post
I am devastated as my 13 yr. old son was recently diagnosed with Tourettes. He has had tics in the past, but the vocal ones right now are severe. We have to take him for a brain scan on Sunday and I am nervous about the meds which I hear have severe side effects. As far as school goes, his teachers have been wonderful, but we all know there are kids out there who can be cruel...and some who are very understanding. I know that this is something that can be helped and isn't life threatening, but it's causing my husband and I extreme tension and problems in our marriage because it tends to be at its worst in the eves and we can't watch television or do anything w/out hearing him. The tics are taking over everything. Please help...

"you're entering, the

zone..."
who moi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (02-07-2009), Chemar (02-07-2009), Jaspar (04-26-2009)