View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Please don't be angry?

I've found that when dealing with other docs about my own immune-PN issues I've got to explain in 30 seconds or less [the attention span of gnats, I believe?] what it is that requires me to see them that could complicate most simply treated medical issues.
My first neuro was a 'live with it' type. It took me months of distress and very limited mobility to figure out I had NO clue what a neuro really was nor if this one was competent! I've seen eight neuros in the last 5+ years of my neuropathy and I must say that four I would see again but the other four aren't worth the time of day. Sooo. Second opinions have even odds of getting you somewhere? It also depends on where you live too-some areas of the US or even the world for that matter are more well versed about PN than others. You simply have to keep trying and maybe you can get either some help or relief.

Back to therapists? Most PT people encounter neuropathies due to severe diabetes, cancers or strokes. The education of them should be done by 'representative' groups on our behalf? But most of that and of docs has been haphazard and well, wimpy. Therefore, it's up to YOU to know about it, come armed with basic MEDICAL DIAGNOSTIC websites such as are up in the 'stickies' and just give them the first pages...they are either gonna read and learn or not...IF they read and learn? All the better for you! But a good PTherapist? Should be a good listener and then proceed to learn on their own...I hope.
We have to be the educators of our PN issues? And be able to back things up with 'professional' type facts. Plain and simple.
So many of us have learned this the hard way, but learning from all the super people here has helped me, and in turn, I truly help you are able to help yourself! Hugs and hope! 's - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
armac (02-10-2009), Kitt (02-07-2009)