Thread: dhalek & MrsD
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 09:42 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Looked at both articles you posted. Thanks for the info. My labs for iron are all within normal ranges, so I'm thinking it's not hemachromatosis, and my lesions look nothing like those in celiac's. Here is a link to my actual skin photos: http://dnhatch.tripod.com/skin/

There is a photo of my arm lesions, but they are faded at the moment. I managed to find a photo of urticaria pigmentosa which is posted as well and looks EXACTLY like mine when it's inflamed and is what started me down this path of research. Add all this to the fact that I developed an allergic asthma out of no where about 9-10 years ago. I was sitting in a computer class at college and just all of the sudden, I could hardly breath. My hubby and I were just dating at the time, he came and picked me up and took me to the docs. That's when I found out it was allergic asthma. I had never had asthma in my life prior to that! I've also had a chronic "runny nose" for as long as I can remember. The acid reflux, I've had a problem with it since I was in High School. The skin lesions developed around the same time as the asthma, but the itch wasn't as bad back then. That has progressed over the years. About 4 years ago, is when it started getting bothersome enough to have to take Benadryl at night so the itch wouldn't wake me up.

Most often this disorder isn't picked up in labs, at least from what I've read about it. And not sure if it's relevant or not, but my monocytes are always slightly elevated, since 2002, and my basophils (at least the last 2) where at the top: my level 1.0 (ref range 0-1%) during fasting blood labs Sept 08 & Dec 08.

Again, I realize I could be way off base, but it does warrent investigation. I know it is rather rare - considered an orphan disease - but my mother has a history of having high histamine levels and I just read something on high histamine that said a quick home test is to take 50 mg. niacin and if you get a flush from such a low dose, you have high histamin. I've never been able to take niacin, since I was a kid - the flush is too uncomfortable. Tried it again in my early 30's and couldn't.

I may be wrong, but in the event I'm right, and the potential to have an anaphylactic reaction - I have to get it at the very least ruled out.

Thanks again for your valuable input.

added info I also have symptoms of what could be an adrenaline response to a histamine release. Sparodic heart palipitations, racing pulse, shakes followed by a headache - these happen together. I've also noticed on the nights I don't have to take Benadryl (no itch) I don't sleep well. My brain seems over active and won't shut down. Excessive histamine can also explain the dips I get in BP. Sometimes my BP is normal ranges 100's over 70's and the neuro ruled out POTS.

Last edited by dmouse; 02-08-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: adding info
dmouse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote