View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I'd keep a journal...

and would start to find the trigger(s).

That bronzing on the back seems different from the red lesions, which seem more like bug bites. They have "centers", but that could be from the scratching.

The tests you posted? Are those the ones you refer to as normal for iron? You didn't have the specific ones that show iron accumulation, TIBC and transferritin. Most people with hemachromatosis do not show anything grossly abnormal on regular iron tests.
Quote:
Labs 12/02/08
Test – my value - (ref value)

WBC - 8.4 (4.0-11.0 k/uL)
RBC - 4.59 (4.2-5.4 M/uL)
HGB - 15.1 (12.0-16.0 g/dL)
HCT - 44.1 (37-47%)
MCV - 96.1 (80-100 fL)
MCH - 32.9 (27-34 pG)
MCHC - 34.2 (32-36 g/dL)
PLT - 235 (150-400 k/uL)
RDW-CV - 12.6 (11.7-15.0%)
MPV - 11.6 (H) (7.3-11.1 fL)

Neutrophil - 58.7 (40-70%)
Abs Neutrophil - 9.93 (1.8-7.7 K/uL)
Lymphocyte - 28.6 (22-44%)
Abs Lymphocyte - 2.40 (1.0-4.0 k/uL)
Monocyte - 7.9 (H) (0-7.0%)
Abs Monocyte - .66 (0-.08 K/uL)
Eosinophil - 3.8 (0-4%)
Abs Eosinophil - .32 (0-0.4 k/uL)
Basophil - 1.0 (0-1%)
Abs Basophil - .08 (0-0.2 K/uL)
more reading for dermatitis herpetiformis:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1062640-overview

When you go for your evaluation, they will ask you about triggers so it is best to start now and make a little history.
When you get the itching, what happened before, how long it lasts, etc.

Alot of people have flushing from niacin. I do. It doesn't mean you have mastocytosis. There is a place that does work with high histamine people, histadelia. There are supplements used
to correct it or make it less intense. Histadelia is not recognized by all doctors.
http://www.drkaslow.com/html/histadelia.html

Dr. Walsh and the Pfeiffer Institute are the major sources of information on histadelia.

Many things can give confusing rashes. I have attacks of a severe blistering at our vacation home. Mostly on my arms.
but one year it was so terrible..on my legs and hands too.
So I sent an email to a research biologist at a major University, thinking it was zebra mussels(these spawn in the summer and are new to us). We bathe in the lake because we live on an island with no power, etc.
It turns out that only during about 2 weeks of the summer does this happen. Otherwise I can go out in the sun with no problem and have always tanned easily with no burn.
This professor said he thought is was the algae bloom. These microscopic cells end up on the skin, and combined with UV radiation, cause a UV dependent contact dermatitis. My husband and son don't get this, only me.
So, I stay out of the water for the last part of June and early July and bingo...no blistering stinging horrible reaction. It took several years to pin it down.

I share this to show, that it is very hard to pin down skin reactions. If you turn out to have mastocytosis, you may also need to consult an allergist.

You can become resistant to Benadryl. People who use it for sleep can become used to it. Have you tried melatonin?

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Marlene (02-09-2009)