View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 12:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Sissylou,
I've had brain surgery twice and each time they had to shave my head. The first time I had surgery it was for a veeg (video e.e.g.) where they placed 7 depth electrodes directly on my brain. The reason why they did this was to pinpoint the exact location on my brain to where the sz. were coming from. The second time I had surgery they did ultra sound brain surgery and I had to stay awake for the surgery except for when they cut into my head the reason I had to stay awake is because they were doing an e.e.g. having me read flash cards, as well as pricking me with a pin to be sure I could still feel thing. My surgeon removed 75% of my right temporal lobe and all of my right hippocampus. The worst part of the surgery for me was getting 5 shots across the forehead to numb me from the shoulders to the top of my head and then I had 42 staples in my head and it hurt like crazy when it came time to take them out. One reason you might be having memory loss is do to the AED's (seizure meds) you take or it could be that the hippocampus of your brain is shrinking and getting hard from the sz. This is what happened to me and that's why they removed the right hippocampus. Today they have much safer forms of surgery you might want to ask your Dr. about having gamma knife surgery done. There's no knife involved it's using high frequency radio waves to destroy the problem in the brain, it's also used to shrink brain tumors. Often a person goes home the same day they have surgery unless they have received to much radiation. Some things you might want to ask your Dr. are...
Is there any risks such as loss of sight?
Will the surgery stop or just reduce your sz.
How much testings has to be done before the surgery and what tests are
they?
Will the surgery cause more short term memory loss?
How long will I stay in the hospital after surgery?
Can you reduce or stop your AED's if the sz. stop?

These are a few questions you might want to ask. I know I had to have a angiogram, stress test, MRI, SPECT scan, PET scan, CT scan, wada test, bleeding time test, along with neuropsychological testing done to be sure I could handle the surgery and the possible after affects. What bothered me the most after surgery is not being able to lay on my right side for 6 months and I was exhausted and had wicked back pain do to the surgery. I also was on a soft food diet for awhile because it hurt to chew food. I couldn't get my head wet for at least 3 possilbly 6 months and I had 7 follow up visits after surgery it took a full yr. for complete recovery but I was back to work in 2 months after surgery. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
shezbut (02-09-2009)