View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 12:48 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up Hello there!

Hi Barbara and welcome to Neurotalk! It is a great site with lots of really smart and caring people who are willing to answer and questions!

I am so sorry to hear you have been diagnosed, but recent medical advances have really made it possible to lead pretty normal lives (if there is any doubt, read Kathy's latest blog - it is awesome)........it will not shorten your life. It may make it more trying @ times, but there are lots of meds out here that really help.

It sounds like you had the antibody test. I know my test was waaaaaay high, but not everyone has that.

I should tell you that I am recently diagnosed myself (March of last year and had my thymus removed in April...........

Before I was diagnosed, EVERYTHING was hard - everything! I couldn't walk, talk, breathe (only a few times and only for a short time), couldn't even tie my own shoelaces or get out of bed......it was awful! I thought I was going crazy!

You should take heart that you have been diagnosed and given meds NOW - it will make all the difference!

The really frustrating thing about MG is that you don't know how you are going to feel from one day to the next........

Remember to rest when you are tired - do not overdo it! That is not the thing to do with MG. You cannot "work though" the tired. It will make you feel worse.

Some people only need Mestinon, while others (like myself) need steroids in order to feel better............

You WILL GET THROUGH THIS! It will be a pain in the butt initially, but with a good neuro, you will thrive and feel better

There may be days when you cannot get off the sofa, but there will be others when you feel like superwoman!

You will also need a good support group, since so little is understood about MG and people can be thoughtless @ times.

I just finished a round of IV IG and was able to get all of my housework done, dinner made, the works! That stuff (for me) is go-go juice!

Hang in there and let me know if you need to talk!
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBARA356 View Post
Hi, I really don't understand MG. I read about it but it is very confusing to me. My Neuro gave the repetitive nerve test and diagnosed me pretty much on that. He took bloodwork, one came back about AB's and it was ok. He said the other would possibly take a month. Do you guys know what kind of blood test that is? He is not very talkative at this point. I think he is just waiting until everything comes in. He did start me on meds. The generic of Mesitionin? I do feel somewhat better now. I just had the chest xray for the thyoma check. Can anyone out there give me some ideas of what the future holds for me, I am 49. I am raising 2 handicapped children, with the help of my husband. How bad can this get?
I really need to know.