View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 11:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Lori,

I'm thrilled to hear you are doing so well right now. I know it's hard not getting back to work just yet but you know your job right now is to take care of YOU first and foremost and it sounds like your doing well at that. We all know it takes work to manage RSD daily. Keep up the good work!

I have a TENS machine that I have used over the years off and on with a fair degree of success. I typically have used it when I knew I would be on my feet for a while, like cooking dinner or doing my housework. It has helped me get a bit more done with out increasing my pain. I have even used it when doing some exercises. I will pull it out and use it as a treatment option before taking medication and that is helpful. Just one of the many tools in my pain management tool kit.

In my opinion an SCS should be a last line of defense. I was offered one too in the beginning and I''m glad I rejected it. I know it has been very helpful for some people here but for me the potential complications and risks are quite high. I've seen other patients go through hell with problems with the units, the batteries and further invasive surgeries and that put me off it as a treatment option.

I think you know know I'm a big fan of Lidocaine infusions. I started having them done with a subcutaneously pump after Christmas and it is working just as well as the IV infusion. Below is a picture of the pump. I have only needed to take 1 Tylenol 3 in the past month for pain. Lidocaine allows me to function at a much higher level with much less pain medication. I am able to drive, well not on my lidocaine days, but that is really important for me, to maintain my independence. There are many patients here doing very well with Lidocaine also. I can send you the patient info sheet on it if you would like.

I'm hoping to go back to work in the near future, find a new job of some sort. I still have to manage my daily stress and pain levels but I think it would be better for my self worth to get back into the game even if it isn't in the same capacity as it was before I got my RSD.

When you are ready to go back to work will they allow you to do a modified return to work program of some sort? I did that for two years after I got RSD and I was able to work part time, unfortunately my company would not allow me continue on that program, insisted that I return to work full time at full capacity. My body could not handle that at that time, I was still having constant flares from the metal screws left in my foot. I think it will be very important for you to take it slow returning to such a high stress job.

MsL
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kelly6449ed (02-13-2009), llrn7470 (02-13-2009), loretta (07-27-2009)