View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 04:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation Refused entry into Federal Office

I was refused entry into the local Social Security office today. Rather than insist, I am going back in the morning with papers in hand.

The Officer at the door refused me entry because I did not have "national certification" for my service dog. I explained that there was no such thing. He asked all types of (illegal) questions and I shared politely with him that asking "that" was against the law.

He informed me that, being a federal building, they aren't under the ADA. When I asked him where he read that he said it was in his handbook. I told him it needed to be changed.

Tomorrow morning, if I can rise early enough, I will return to the office before everyone else, and give the gentleman a copy of the UPDATED Section 504, which includes the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which extension was done in 1987!

When I called the Department of Justice, ADA department, the lady said that it would be best if I (also) told the Supervisor the information. So maybe I'll take two copies, one in an envelope with a letter explaining the need for current information.

I feel for those who cannot communicate as well as I in such circumstances, and know this frustration. Even though I was quite eloquent with the man, his training failed him somewhere. Those who are totally deaf (or otherwise unable to self-advocate) don't have a chance!
Dejibo (05-26-2009), Doody (02-25-2009), ewizabeth (02-10-2009), karousel (02-10-2009)