View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 05:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Chat ESA, Service animals, SWA

While one trip on SWA the flight was not only full but had many disabled people. My golden doodle stood in the bulkhead in front of me with his front paws and face in my lap, shoulders. Good thing it was the shortest flight you can find. lol The disabled gentleman who I had the enjoyment of sharing the flight with was with the Shake-a-leg sailing organization for the disabled. He invited me to a free sail!
Anyway, all my other flights on SouthWest have been wonderful! With my previous labrador I flew strictly American Airlines, and never had a problem Of course, that could be because my brother worked for them? But it was always first class flying with them.

I read here where someone said they would get a paper saying their animal is a "psychiatric service dog." Never heard of one that way before. HOWEVER do know that if you use the term "service" dog/animal, that you must be able to share at least 3 tasks the animal does for you that you cannot do for yourself. You also need to demonstrate that you have complete control of the animal at "all" times. ("All" being a bit subjective.)

No, airlines do not have to allow emotional support animals. And if they suspect that your animal can't do any tasks for you (such as my bunny) they can deny it access to the cabin.

I think I understand all sides to these situations, and that many other disabled people do also. Please don't stretch the law. It's a very tough place to be to NEED assistance and not be in a place of having it. That goes for those who are questioned unreasonably about their service animals, and for those who aren't able to obtain a truly trained assistance animal.

While we need a national certification program (or better yet, a State oversight department working off national guidelines) let's not push things before we can comply well enough. Those who are on the boundaries of legal and not needing to worry about legal will fall through the cracks if we push certification before the sponsors and volunteers are made available, imo.

Peace!