Thread: Abdominal pain
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 01:24 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff179120 View Post
I finally gave in today and went back to hospital where after four hours of investigations, the emergency room doctor now believes the distal end of the shunt may be blocked with debris. He says unlike the top end of the shunt, the bottom end flows freely in the abdomen and can become obstructed. So he's ordered ultrasound of the abdomen to investigate. He says sometimes the problem can be resolved with surgery, sometimes without and sometimes the debris, if present, clears on its own. At any rate, I know have a place to start. Unfortunately, the ultrasound up here can't be done until Feb. 10, but at least now I have some answers. Jeff
As a further update, I had ultrasound on abdomen today. Although, normally left for a doctor, the X-ray tech gave me the results. She said she could see no obstruction at the distal end of the shunt. She surprised me in that the distal end of my shunt is way over by my right hip. I thought it was in the centre of the stomach. At any rate, she said an MRI or CT of the stomach may be necessary to determine if there is any blockage. She said because of my weight (almost 300lbs.) it's hard to follow the shunt with ultrasound. Jeff
jeff179120 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote