View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 10:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing42 View Post
in spite of a negative prognosis from three neurologists. I was in severe pain and burning for years, with loss of balance, foot drop causing frequent stumbles, no ankle reflex in left and 50% in right, and hardly able to walk. The pain ranged from 6-8 on the 0-10 scale with breakthrough pain at 9 or 10 experienced as either electric zaps, or feeling like a carnivorous worm was eating at my toe and metatarsal joints. I also had extremely hypersensitive skin, and other areas where the skin was numb enough to stick a pin in.

Now, I walk or hike an average of 12,000 steps a day on my pedometer, have wonderful balance (not as good as in 1992, but I'm 65 yrs old now). My pain ranges from 0 to 4 with very occasional breakthrough pain in the 6 or 7 range, about 2 now as I type this. Both ankle reflexes were measured at 100%. There are still some mildly numb skin areas, but almost no hypersensitivity. I still show some neuropathy when tested with two points, tickle, and vibration. EMGs and nerve conduction tests have always been normal since my PN was small fiber sensory.

OK, it's not healed, but I can happily go through the rest of my life like this. No longer does the pain wakes me up, stop me from walking or driving, and is never so bad that it's hard to concentrate.

The program I've followed all these years is on page 3 of the stickies. There have been changes to it the past couple of years, but the the essential program hasn't changed. It's a hassle to edit old postings on this forum, but I'll work with a moderator to do so one of these months.

A CHANGE: I meant page 2 of the stickies. The neuropathy must be affecting what remains of my brain.

Thanks so much for positing this. I've only just read it.

I've been feeling like I'm going mad... the burning sensation in my legs gets so intense and did vary from 7 to 10, now is much better varying between 2 to 8 depending on cold, draughts, etc. It affects my walking too.

But all my results came back negative too... and so I've been told that it will either go or not, and don't know exactly what it is. It sounds so similar... there are areas of my feet you can stick pins into with no feeling too.

I will check the stickies for a healing plan.

Thanks again
susanjpullen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote