Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 10:09 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

One of the things that get little attention in PD is brain chemistry, as ridiculous as that sounds. We hear about dopamine all the time. And serotonin crops up when we mention depression. These are called "neurotransmitters" and are message carriers. There are others, dozens in fact. We think of them as being products of the nervous system, and some are. But there are others. The endocrine system produces them and we call them hormones. The immune system produces them and we call them cytokines. The names are less familiar - cortisol, TNFa.

Most of us know how messed up we can get from the messages carried by hormones such as cortisol / stress. It can take us off our feet.

Cytokines can do the same thing. Plus you have the added factor of toxins from bacteria.

They say that if you only have a hammer, then everything looks like a nail. I guess that when all you have is levodopa, things are going to look like dopamine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
I can identify with the leg problem. If I get sick (sinus infections are most likely), get over-tired, or skip a few days worth of supplements (Rick, I pretty much take your regime) - I find myself absolutely unable to cross the floor and to go out is unthinkable. Bed rest, good food and getting back on my supplements - with just the tiniest bit of gentle stretching of legs - seems to help. And I also get the burning - frequently - below the knees. Wake up with it. Exercise seems to help that one, but I can't exercise if my legs won't work.

Wish I had an answer to all of this.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sasha (02-12-2009)