View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 02:57 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Ralph,
Welcome!

I like this MS site, link is below. Some stuff is old but still valuable information. I get the MS Hug everyday. I think they named it because it feels like a big old bear came up behind you, and squeezes you around the upper middle, then lets go and does it again and again.

Sometimes it is non-stop at night for me. It is painful, like your ribs are being crushed. That's how it is for me.

Other people get it around the waist, a leg or even an arm. That feel like a tight band is wrapped around the area. They call it banding, girdling (like a tight elastic band) or The HUG. Not a pleasant pain to have, but it is invisible pain to the doctor, only you feel it.

This link is to:

Invisible Symptoms: Fatigue and Pain

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/news/J...eSymptoms.html

Copied from the site.
MS HUG
Band-like pain in torso or extremities (Jeffery, 2000)
Caused by a lesion in the spinal cord, this pain is characterized by intense pressure or squeezing in a girdle-like pattern around the torso.
May respond partially to phenytoin or gabapentin.
For resistant cases, benzodiazepines may be helpful.

I hope you don't have MS, but if you do, there are medications for a lot of the symptoms.

May happiness be at your door. May it knock early, stay late, and leave the gift of good health behind.

"Life is what it is". We can only focus on controlling those things we can control, we must let go of the things we can't.
Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote